Prepare for a 职业生涯 as an Actuary
的 Actuarial Science Program is designed to assist students who have an interest in pursuing a career as an actuary with planning their coursework, arranging internships, and preparing for the 精算师协会 preliminary examinations (Exam P: 概率 和考试FM: Financial 数学). 的 精算师协会 does not require a specific undergraduate major as a prerequisite for taking exams, but most encourage emphasis in the mathematics, finance and business coursework. Students who enter the Actuarial Science Program at Concordia University will take courses most appropriate for preparing for the first two exams as well as preparing for a career in actuarial science. Additional courses (including some which will be validated by educational experience by the SOA) and a major should be selected based on student interest and career goals.
- General Education (54-55 Units)
- Normally completed during the first two (2) years of attendance.
- Completion of any approved major, typically a mathematics major with a selection of business and economics courses.
- Program Requirements
- Students should select courses from a variety of fields (including finance, economics and mathematics) that will best prepare them for their first Preliminary Examination (Exam P or Exam FM) by the 精算师协会 toward the end of their sophomore or junior year.
- This course will study differential and integral calculus with applications including an emphasis on using calculus to solve problems. Lab time is included in the schedule. A graphing calculator is expected.
- A continuation of MTH 271, this course will include a study of integral calculus with and emphasis on the definite integral, 先验的, 参数, and polar-functions along with their derivatives and integrals, 系列, 和序列, and an introduction to differential equations. A graphing calculator is expected along with the ability to use appropriate computer software. Lab time is included in the schedule. Prerequisite: MTH 271 or acceptable AP examination credit.
- As a continuation of MTH 272, this course will include the study of vector calculus, three-dimensional calculus, 偏导数, 多重积分, differential calculus, and other selected topics in vector calculus. Prerequisite: MTH 272 or appropriate advanced placement (AP) examination grade.
- MTH 387: 概率 and Statistics I
- This course will look at the probability and combinatorics; discrete and continuous random variables; the normal, γ, 卡方, 泊松, and binomial distributions with applications. Offered alternate years.
- MTH 388: 概率 and Statistics II
- A continuation of MTH 387, this course will cover various multivariate probability distributions, bias and unbiased estimators, Least Square estimation, 方差分析, 块设计, and a revisit of hypothesis testing and a study of non参数 statistics. Prerequisite: MTH 387. Offered alternate years.
当前的学生, please note: 的 requirements listed here may not reflect the most current courses for this major and may not be the requirements for the catalog year you are following to complete your major. 请参阅 学术目录 for official requirements you must meet to qualify for a degree.
Other minor options to consider: